Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day 2007

My Mom and Me

Cliff and his Mom

Happy Mother's Day!

I tried to find a photo of my Mom and I, and photo of Cliff and his Mom and these were the only two photos I could come up with. I think as a Mom, we are always the busy ones. Often behind the lens of the camera, and rarely in a photo with our kids. I know that is how it goes in our place. I am finding that sometimes it is just better to capture the memory in my heart, than through the camera lens.

But, to look at the photos above, all I can see is love. Love, Love and more LOVE.

A mother's love is universal. Nobody can make you feel as good as a Mom. See how our Mom's cradled us over and over in our arms, well I carry my babies the exact same way. To be cared for and adored. To be loved and cherished by your Mom is something beyond words.

Before I was a Mom, I didn't realize everything that goes into becoming a Mom. I didn't see or remember all of the stuff that is behind the scenes so to speak. The often thankless job of being a Mom. I remember asking my Mom when I was a kid why there isn't a "Kid's Day" and my Mom told me because every day is Kid's Day. And Mom, you are absolutely right!!

Moms, running around doing a million things at once, or "multitasking" or just simply just trying to make it through the day. Some days I wish that I could stay in bed forever, and never come out. Or, there are days like today, when your 4th child in her crib in the next room over says "Good Morning Mommy" and then again in the happiest tone of voice. I could not sleep in, I had to go to this sweet little lady and pick her up! How could I resist. And, then I changed 2 diapers. And got them dressed.

This morning I was given 2/5 gifts for Mother's Day. Claire gave me a card which had a butterfly on it made by putting paint on her palms and it was so beautiful! She wrote Happy Mother's Day in it, and Love, Claire. And, she also painted a little blue and purple circular box with glued on jewels. It was beautiful. Cameron, well he made me raisin toast with butter and honey. And dear Claire, tipped the plate and one piece landed flat down on the carpet. Why do things land sticky side down? And, he made a kiln fired heart in green with dried branches and flowers with a red string to hang it with. It had a tiny little carved heart on the front that was just for me. And, a lovely booklet stating all of the nice things I do for him, and a card with coupons such as 10 hugs and 10 kisses, I will vacuum the house, I will dust the whole house. Tomorrow, is a special Mother's Day tea at school with Carly when I will receive my "gifts" and I cannot wait to spend that time with her at her school.

I cannot believe that at some point in my life I will receive 6 gifts for Mother's Day. And this is coming from a girl who originally did not want any kids or to get married. But, truly I have 5 gifts, and another on the way! I feel that I don't even need gifts because they are my treasures. I have so much to be thankful for this Mother's Day.

Mom, I am thankful to you, because I have learned so much from you. You are my teacher, and I hope that I am doing the same wonderful things with my own kids. I hope that I can become 1/2 the woman that you are. You don't complain, you are cheerful, giving and supportive. Thank you Mom for being a wonderful support and Mom to me. And, Grannie to my kids.

Mom (in-law) I am thankful to you because you gave birth to a wonderful son Cliff who became my wonderful husband of 9 years. You raised him to be strong, caring, loving and a giver. I admire your strength and love, and I am so glad you are the Nona to our kids. I am very thankful for the love and support you give to Cliff and myself.

April, my sister: Happy Mother's Day. Abby sure got a wonderful Mom to nurture her, feed and care for her. I am so proud of you, and all that you do. You are raising a wonderful baby girl and to see you as a Mom makes my heart proud. I am so excited for you. Your first Mother's Day! Enjoy the time, and I hope you get 4 hours (at least) to yourself to do as you please. You deserve so much Sis. I love you, and thank you for being a wonderful support to me too.

Amy, my sister: I know what your heart desires, and I truly hope that ALL of your dreams will come true. I just want to put my props out to the Aunty who truly is a marvel! I love the way the kids get so excited when they hear your name, for the trips to the pool, the fun times, and surprises up your sleeves. You are a WONDERFUL sister and Aunty. And I just wanted to say thanks. I know you are doing a wonderful job with Kayla too. She is very lucky to have you Amy. I love you!

Andrea, my cousin: I hear your Mother's Day is really busy today, and your life is very hectic. But, I hope you get the time to nurture yourself today too. You are doing such a fabulous job with Matthew! I know life can get very stressful, but you handle everything which such ease. I love you, and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Cynthia, my friend: Happy Monster Day to you. I feel the most for you today. I know your Mom is not with you, and I am so sorry. I know you miss her, but I am sure your Mom is looking down on you today. You are a super Mom, balancing a lot with work and home and raising a wonderful little boy Ben! You are a marvel, and full of talent! I am so glad that we became friends! Love you!!

To my Blogger Pals: Happy Mother's Day. I am so excited each day to check in with you all, and read with admiration about your tales of raising your kids! You all amaze me! Especially you Irma, with your gorgeous 8 kids!! Thank you for your support and advice.

To my Grandmother's Grannie and Oma: Thank you for giving birth to my Mom, and to my Dad. Thank you for doing such and amazing job with them! I have so much to learn from you both. I love you both so much.

To the Mom's to be: Wishing you all happy and healthy pregnancies and births!

For the Mom's who have just had babies! Congratulations! Especially you Alyson! Having a sweet boy on Mother's Day! Wow.

To the Mom's who are trying to get pregnant: I am sending all of my baby dust to you! Tummy rubs!

I wish you all the very best today, and enjoy your day with your families. This is what being a mother is all about!

I know when I look around my house today, I am thankful for my little blessings which are my kids. My life just would not be as full, fun or fabulous without them all. My life is truly crazy and chaotic at times, but I would never change it!

Enjoy your day today!


5 comments:

Mrs. Merriman said...

Thanks Cathy.. you made me cry. Good tears though :D I love you too.. xoxo

LauraC said...

Cathy, this was the best post about Mother's Day I read. Beautiful words... you are an amazing mother and I'm glad to have "met" you.

Irma said...

...thanks Cathy! Hope you had a woderful day with your crew! Take care of yourselve...(-:

Alyson said...

Thanks for all the mother's day well wishes. I read them the entire way through the process. It is nice having the support from across the country ;)
Alyson

Allyson said...

My darling Cathy, you are our "original child". You have written the most beautiful Mother's Day tribute. It is abundantly clear to me, your very proud mom, that you are doing what you should be, being the loving, mentoring mom to our wonderful grandchildren. And just look at them, each one a unique "snowflake".

Your words of tribute to me made me cry as I read them. I do not feel worthy of your statements, you see, it is you, my children that made me the Nanny/Mother you see before you. My darling daughters made me who I am, and it was and remains to this day, my honour and privilege to be called your Mom. I love you very much xxxxooooo Mom