Sunday, August 27, 2006

Date Night

Saturdayt evening as we were driving into Coquitlam IKEA on the Number 1. We saw a young couple in their maybe late teens/at oldest early 20's. It was an Acura Integra all souped up. Noisy spoiler, clean. They were having fun, she was putting on her make up. They were probably heading downtown Vancouver to cruise Robson Street and/or go for dinner and maybe to a club. They were all dolled up.

Now, here are Cliff and I, in our visibly dirty 8 seater mini van. 4 girls in the back. Our date night consisted of sending one child off to Lynn Canyon with Nonna and Grandpa for the day. In the vehicle in the car, instead of putting on mascara, I was throwing back fruit roll ups in hopes of keeping the noise level down ie. crying and fighting lol.

Instead of cranking up good tunes, we were listening to VBS cd's the whole way (and don't forget about all of the errands we ran during the day- all VBS tune)

We get to IKEA. We still have 4 girls with us. Cliff puts Caroline in the Baby Bjorn, I take Catie in the big wobbly buggy. Cliff takes Claire and Carly up the escalator (Caroline still strapped on his chest!) I manage to get Catie and I into the elevator. We meet at the Smaland and we sign Claire and Carly in...off they go for 1 hour in the play place. That now leaves us with 2 kids. Except we cannot hold hands, I push the wobbly cart and Cliff continues on with Caroline. We actually felt like we had it pretty easy at this point. We were able to really have a fun look around this time! It was fun.

Buzzer goes off. Our hour of Date Night is over. Off to get Claire and Carly. They had a blast, they shared what they did in there!

I wish I could have gone in there. I remember back to when my parents would take us to the ballroom in Richmond IKEA. We loved that. I sure hope that this is how my girls felt tonight. We purchased our goods with all 4 girls.

You know how you freshen up your make up on a date in the washroom, well on my date I had Claire and Carly join me. They both went to the bathroom. I didn't put on lipstick. I just looked in the mirror and saw an older me looking back in the mirror. Used my wet hands to smooth my hair a bit! It was kind of crazy on my date night. I totally looked like "a Mom" lol. Out the door we went. Met back with Cliff, Caroline and Catie.

We loaded into the car, and headed back home. Instead of chatting with each other like on a date, we chatted with the girls to keep them awake. We managed to keep 2/4 awake. lol. Home we got. No good night kiss from my date. I got kisses from the girls lol. And kisses from Cameron when we finally got home late that night.

I am sure the couple that we saw in the Integra had a good night. I remember doing things like that with Cliff 10 years ago, and it was FUN...but you know what last night was fun too.

But, a ride in a hot car is sometimes fun too! Cliff and I talked about one day buying a hot sports car for our "second ride." Mini van for the family, and a sports car for us when the kids grow up and leave the nest.

When they are all out on date nights!

Can you imagine the fun they will have!

Can you imagine all of the wrinkles and grey hairs we will have!

3 comments:

Allyson said...

You know those kids in the car? Well, they'll probably never, ever remember last Saturday night, but you two will always remember it! Now that's a date!

Anyway, now that I your dad and I can have date night any time we want, it's not all that it's cracked up to be. It's lovely, we laugh, we do whatever, but it's never the same as when he was 18 and I was 15! You can never, ever recapture those Saturday nights, and more to the point, you don't necessarily want to. xxxooo

AmberW said...

So true Cathy - can you imagine??? I always see those "kids" going out on date nights and it defintely takes me back. But you know what? I wouldn't trade what I have now for ANY of that! Yah it was nice to be young, yah it was nice to have no responsibilities or cares - but I LOVE my family and LOVE where I am in life! Isn't that great?! Look at all the love we have around us. You helped remind me of what an amazing life we lead:) In all of its craziness!

cathy said...

I am on the same page as you Amber. All of the heartaches, break ups etc. I am glad I am where I am at in life too!