Tuesday, December 05, 2006

December 2006

Well, it is hard to believe that 2006 is almost over! This year went so fast. Now, Christmas is weeks away. I have nothing done for Christmast this year.

Usually our tree is up about this time, but not this year. Tree next weekend. We have so many family get togethers that they are eating into OUR family time. I love my family, BUT I love my family too. Yes, I know, the kids love to get together with our families. But still. That is just how I feel this week lol.

I am not going to make cards this year. Usually we do a potato print stamp on blank cards with the kids. This year I am going to buy them.

Usually we do gingerbread cookies and ice them etc. Not this year. I think I will buy a gingerbread house kit for the kids to do. Life is just too darn busy!

We tried to take the kids to the Annual Santa parade last weekend, and we didn't even get the chance to go. Picture this: Van full of kids. 2 are crying, 1 has to go pee. 1 is whining, 1 needs to go pee but didn't go before leaving the house. 2 shaking their heads. So, we had to go home. There was not a bathroom in sight.

We hoped this would be a lesson in listening to your parents...ie. go to the bathroom when we ask. I know the kids were disappointed as were Cliff and I. That was supposed to be one of our family events for Christmas. SO, we went home. Too bad. So disappointing. Oh well, what can we do? I hope NEXT year the kids will remember that. I am sure they will. I am sure they will remind us of the time we DIDN'T go to the parade for the next 40 years!

This week we are trying to go to a nice park around here that is all decorated up for Christmas! This one thankfully is a drive thru type event!

We are busy with the kids getting ready for Christmas programs at school too. Those require special "costumes." This year Cameron is a Dog with his class, and Claire is a Bird with her class. I got their clothing on Sunday night around 10 pm after a full day of celebrating my Opa's 90th birthday. I am looking forward to seeing Cameron and Claire in their class programs!

We also just got report cards, and I am pleased with both kid's reports! Cameron and Claire did well. Carly is not in preschool anymore. She is starting in a new one in Jan '07 that is closer to home.

I feel crazy busy these days. I have to stay up late like an elf to get it all done! And, I bought new dishtowels for the kitchen, and "to save time" I washed those (green and yellow) with my white towels. I now have pale green towels. SO, now I must do ANOTHER load with bleach! Why did I do that...I KNEW that would happen.

This weekend we are going to go get our live tree. For the past 4 years we have gone and cut a tree with the kids at a local Christmas tree farm. Usually we do that around the 1st of December but yes, we were too busy. We also have our Chilliwack Christmas this weekend too.

Next weekend is our family Christmas dinner. So, another busy weekend. Then, isn't it Christmas?! EEEEK.

I know I will get it all done, it is just that I feel like complaining a bit lol. It has definitely been challenging with 5 kids. I am not kidding you. BUSY with a capital B! But, the anticipation of Christmas eve and Santa coming and then the look on the kid's faces on Christmas morning will make everything worth while. When they are all happy Cliff and I are happy too! I am also looking forward to our annual breakfast with the in-laws and then dinner at my parents place! Always so special to all be together as a family.

This year is Caroline's first Christmas which is very special! I also rethinking if we should get a full size tree. Caroline will be under there just like a cat would do! I KNOW I will be forever pulling her out from under there. Are pine needles poisonous?! Maybe we do a table tree?! Nahhh. I have made it through 4 kids and Christmas so certainly I SHOULD be able to get through ONE more!

In any event. As per in the past. The tree and all of the decorations and ANYTHING Christmas will be BOXED up and put away on BOXING DAY...after a lovely Boxing day brunch at my sister Amy and Tyler's house!! By the 27th it will be just like Christmas never happened around here!! lol.

So, when am I going to do my shopping? Thankfully we do not buy a whole lot, I think I can get it all done in 1/2 a day somewhere around the 20th of December! I am also looking forward to getting jammies for the whole family to go to bed in on Christmas Eve.

I am tired just looking back at my post!

9 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow .. and I thought I was busy with little Lucy. I can't imagine 5 - how do you do it??? By the way, you look great as a brunette
:)

cathy said...

Wendy: Being busy is all relative! One baby is VERY busy! I remember having one baby (Cameron) and I remember not being able to even take a shower!! Boy how times have changed for me! Once Lucy is a bit older your life will get MUCH easier!! Thanks for the compliment! Nice to see you here.

:D

PamnPat'sParadise said...

Cathy, did you remember to breath anywhere in that post LOL.

It is very hard at this time of year to get anything done, let alone with your housefull. Take it one day at a time, even 1 hour at a time and you'll get through.

Allyson said...

It's not about homemade cards, gingerbread houses that you made yourself, it's about being sane, and a loving momma to your Fab-5. And without a doubt you are that, a wonderful, loving momma. But if you took all those things on . . .
You made all the right choices, But do I get the "Cathy Cake for Christmas?-tee hee?

cathy said...

Mom: Do you mean the chocolate bundt cake with peppermint?! I did say I would make this every year didn't I lol. I hope April brings her lushious lemon bars!! I am sure it will be there...I just have to dig out the recipe from my recipe file! Are you making Nanaimo Bars and Jewel Pie too?! It is not Christmas without those treats xo

Cathy said...

I am so glad that you dropped by my blog and posted a comment. You are a beautiful and amazing mom!
xo
Another Cathy :)(but from the other coast)

Anonymous said...

Oh Cath, you made me even more anxious and stressed just by reading your post! I too am in the SAME boat, all these good intentions and ideas of a "family Christmas" and not able to get a stitch done (unless it's staying up super late cramming it all in like you) AND I only have the ONE child! Then it's early to rise for me and another long day at work leaving only the weekends to try to fit it all in! We might see you at the tree farm this year! And like you, we're part of that same "loving family"... another function to plan for and attend on the 17th! (Don't get me wrong family - if you're reading this - we too love you all but have no time for "our" family!) (Cathy mentioned and brought it up first! LOL) Cath, take it an hour, a day, a week at a time. It will get done. It may not be what you had in "mind" or what you were looking for (and aren't we all striving for that feel good family Christmas, less stress, more quality time?) but as your Mom (my dear Aunt) mentioned, it's better to have a sane Mommy! What is that book? "Don't sweat the small stuff"... Hmmm... I better practice what I preach! I love you! See you in a couple of weeks! xoxo Andrea

cathy said...

Cathy: We are even the same age, but you have MUCH more talent than I could ever muster up!! Lovely to see you here! Thanks *blushing*

Andrea: I guess we will have that tea next year huh! lol. I am still looking forward to the 17th! And yes, we both must use your advice. I love you xo

Allyson said...

Cathy, I was only teasing you about the Cathy Cake. I'll make the Jewell Pie and Nanaimo Bars and maybe, the macroons with cranberries. As delicious and as welcome as your Cathy Cake, and April's Luscious Lemon Bars are, I don't have 5 kidlets nor a new baby to worship and cope with! So my loves, please don't do it! I mean, I have to go on a major diet before we go shopping for jeans as it is! xxxxxxxxxxxxooooooooooooo