Monday, September 04, 2006

c is for c a r o l i n e








We finally got Caroline's name finished for the wall of our kid's names in the playroom.

We made them ourselves. It has taken some time and effort, but we figure we have spent $5.00 in paint only. The rest of the materials we had kicking around the house. I am REALLY pleased for us, and for her.

Why did I make them? Well because by the time we had Caroline, the place the other names/letters came from had stopped production on the letters. So, we were SOL.

DYK that Caroline's name can be spelled from all of the other kid's names?! If we would have had a boy he would have been named Cooper Ralph and we wouldn't have been able to make his name and would have to purchase new letters for EVERYBODY! That would have cost $$ big $$. The letters were $10 dollars per letter, and really there are a lot of letters to buy then! Just Caroline's name would have been $80.00

I used homemade playdough to make a mold, then I pressed the exisiting letters into the playdough. Pulled out the letter, then repeated that for every letter. I sprayed each mold with PAM. Then I mixed up plaster of paris and poured into each playdough mold. left them for 24 hours. Then I broke all of the playdough away. Left the letters for another 24 hours. Cliff got out the Dremel sander and smoothed the letters out. Then, we bought the craft paint and then MIL painted and distressed the letters to make them look as close to the originals as possible. I am very pleased, and I feel good that the letters are up.

No comments: