Monday, November 27, 2006

the gift

You've know you all have received a bad gift.

Think back to that gift...remember that gift. It was the most BRUTAL gift you or your loved one has received EVER!

How do you deal with that lovely gift? I know I always have to write a thank you note! What ever happened to that gift? How did you get rid of it? Did you keep it, is it still in your closet? Do you take a photo with it, mail it off to the person who sent it, and then get rid of it?


You know you have to write a thank you note like this:

Dear Jane,

Thank you so much for finding the most unique little boy's outfit I have ever seen! My son will look like the perfect little man in that outfit. I cannot wait until he fits into it! You chose the PERFECT shade for him!


I really appreciate your thought and care you have placed into finding this gift for our son.

Lovely to see you again!

Love,

Cathy


Even though you want to write something like:

Dear Jane,

Am I really supposed to thank you for the ugliest outfit I have ever seen in my life? And what makes you think my son would look good in that number? Thank you but no thank you. There is no way I am EVER going to put my son in this *TERRIBLE outfit. And why would you think he would even wear that?

I have never ever seen YOUR kid in an "outfit" like that.

I am dumping this outfit into a garbage bag, and tossing it into the ocean. I hope it NEVER surfaces again. If it does, I will make sure it ends up on your doorstep! SO your son can wear it.

Now, I have to spend my precious time and send it off to the local charity. Do yo really think THEY want it? Are you nuts? Why would you subject us to this gift?

Have you ever heard of gift cards? or my gift registry?

Thanks for nothing!

Cathy

*insert your choice words here!

10 comments:

Mrs. Merriman said...

LOL Cathy.. yes, we have all been there!

Unknown said...

LOL!! This reminds me of our conversation this morning, Cath!!

Olena said...

I hear you...
We got the ugliest the heaviest cristal vase, that looks like a crown on the pedistal, as a wedding gift from his relative. His mom and aunt said it was beautiful, so, I gave it to my MIL as I have two or three of the same size. I could not even sell it - was so ugly. And thank you note, well I got an excuse - was too sick to write as we got pregnant on the wedding night and I was sick from day 5.

So I hear you. It also makes me wonder if I ever gave such a gift to someone, GULP.

PamnPat'sParadise said...

Falling off my chair laughing!!!

Allyson said...

You are so right Cathy, we've all been there. I can think of some that I trashed as soon as I got them home! Are we ingrates or what! xxxooo

LauraC said...

I will have to use your thank you note as my template! Yet one more problem with twins is that people give you not one but TWO horrible matching outfits. I have actually been taking pictures of the boys in the outfits and including a copy in the thank you note. Hopefully the boys will see those pictures one day and laugh hysterically!

Anonymous said...

The funny part is that it is too true! Thanks for the chuckle! LOL

Wendy said...

Too funny! I might have to copy your note and keep it on hand. Thanks for the laughs

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! YES. I SO know what you mean...and some people are CONSISTANT horrible gifters too! You just wish that they would stop buying gifts completely. They are sitting there watching you unwrapping the gift and you already know it's going to be awful...you begin to visualize your strained reaction so that you can try to convince them that it's wonderful. Then you overdo it...and they think that you want to start collecting the kind of item that you just unwrapped. Great. How stressful. Gift recieving was never supposed to be stressful. LOL!

cathy said...

I am glad to know I am not alone! I have been enjoying reading about other "lovely" gifts that you all have received! Keep them coming!