Thursday, November 09, 2006

Recovery

Recovery. We all have to recover at some point. Nonna B is recovering from her knee surgery, Grandpa aka Dad is going to recover from having a scope done today at the hospital, and hopefully get his gallbladder out soon so he can recover fully. April hopefully recovered from her long night the other night (up until almost 2) The people who take care of people in recovery, people recovering from injuries, people recovering from a loss of a loved one. It is such a small word, and yet it takes so much sometime to recover from something. I think about my friends who are going through post partum depression, and I remember my hard recovery from that time of my life, and I remember recovering from my gallbladder removal 4 years ago (November 7th it was) and I am thankful to those who helped me to recover.

I am also thinking about those trying to recover from body aches and pains, and for those who have lost babies, and babies in incubators, and babies that are not meeting their growth milestones, recovering (0r trying to heal) from miscarriage. I walked that path too.

Sometimes you have pain, and you have to recover. Sometimes people don't do well in recovery, and some do...it is a process isn't it.

I recovered from yesterday (I think) I had one of those really BAD days. I am thankful I can get over those days...and it was officially a hump day...a Wednesday. It was a really bad day, nothing went well, the kids, not listening, fighting. Disrespecting our wishes. I ended up taking everything out of a bedroom except the bed and bed linens as I got so frustrated. I was tired of the kids writing on the walls, breaking sections of their blinds, taking pieces of of their chandeliers, sick of leaking roofs, tired of living with other people, sick of kids playing at the dinner table, sick of kids not getting into their pj's, sick of telling the kids to brush their teeth OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Sick of washing and folding laundry, having the kids put the laundry away and then having the clean laundry end up on the floor or on the bed now unfolded.

Tired of the kids pushing my HOT BUTTONS. Tired of STUFF going wrong, and not the way I want it to go. I was also sick of the weather. I am tired of the fall, and winter is not even here. I was just plain frustrated.

How did I recover? Well, I vented to Cliff first when he first walked through the door...he knew I had a hard day as I had a nude kid running around the house with a diaper off, I was feeding Caroline on the couch, toys were everywhere, and nobody used the rule of one toy out, one away. And, we lost a leap pad cartridge in the house?! Where the heck did it go?! So much for that! I still cannot find it. What a welcome home eh! I bet he wanted to go back to work.

I went for a run a very fast 5k run. I didn't even feel like going out of the door, but I did. And I talked about my day to my sister on the phone. I vented to her! And you know what, when I got home from my run. The days worries and frustrations did not bother me anymore.

I was running and chatting with a nice lady named Susan and she told me her husband's recovery story about how he fell 12 feet and landed and how he had to recover. And, recover he did. 6 weeks of recovery! Suddenly my little problems didn't seem that bad.

That put my problems in perspective.

For all of you recovering from something today, my heart goes out to you.

Have a happy Thursday.

6 comments:

AmberW said...

Oh Cathy you poor thing. I can relate to everything that you posted about - and you are right, everyone has to recover! I hope that eventually I too, will be on the road to recovery.

I hope you have a better day today! *Hugs*

Olena said...

Poor you, hope today will be a better day... HUGS HUGS

Allyson said...

Darling Cathy, I sure hope today went better for you. To quote our beloved Pastor Ken, "some day you get the bear and some day the bear gets you!" I am so sorry the bear got you yesterday.

We are keeping Clara and Earl in prayers, hoping for NonaB a speedy recovery, that will be so good for her. And to Earl the Pearl, I will be happy for him when he has his surgery. Then he will be just like you Cathy. All Better!

It is amazing isn't it, how an experience like you had with your running mate can help put things in perspective. That said, you had a truly frustrating day and that does not diminish what you went through. We love you honey and think and say so many times, what an awesome job you are doing. I mean the Fab-5, are the proof of the pudding. XXXOOO Mom

Unknown said...

Lovely commentary on life, Cath. Perspective. That's all it takes sometimes. A pleasure talking to you last night.
I hope your day was a vast improvement from yesterday. One more day until the weekend!
xoxo

cathy said...

Thanks everybody...today was a bit better!

Andrea said...

I had one too! LOL
something in the air.
glad today was better :)