Tuesday, May 30, 2006

You had a bad day, a very bad day...

Yesterday, which started off as a good day, quickly turned bad. I went downstairs to start a load of laundry yesterday morning at 6:30 am. Usually a load takes under an hour to complete its cycle. So, just before 8:00 am I go back down to the laundry room to switch the clothes to the dryer, and I walk in and my feet get soaked. Yes, the washing machine went. I was standing in 2 inches atleast of water. Water was seeping into the bedroom downstairs, down into the garage, and into the closets. And started leaking into the hallways. I get towels and clean up the bedroom downstairs, and salvage my MIL's shoes. I put towels down at the entry points of the two doorways. Of course this is minutes before we leave for our school day. I couldn't get a hold of Cliff, so I called my MIL. She freaks on the other end of the phone. I tell here there are not enough towels in the house to pick up all of the water. I called my parents, and thankfully they headed over. I had to think really quickly! I shut off all of the water taps to the hotwater tank and to the washing machine. I had to get Cameron to school too. So, my Mom said to forget preschool for today, and get Cameron to school. Somehow I managed to get him there on time. I have to say I have the nicest neighbour Joan. I told her what happened, and she walked back home with us from school and brought out her shop vac to our house and sucked up the water on the main floor. Thank you Joan! Thank you Mom and Dad for all of your help! My MIL came home too, and most of clean up was done. We all had tea.


I think I managed to salvage the wood floors.

BUT...

...the crawlspace is a different story. There is so much water down there, it is like several lakes. And of course, many of our things were ruined in the process. Some of my clothing, our old sketchbooks from highschool, my high school annuals. All of my negatives were down there in the paper packages, photos, frames, wedding memorabilia. And I don't know what else just yet. I don't really want to go there. I know my wedding dress made it through. Remember how we cleaned out the garage...well thankfully we did. Now it looks just as bad as before!

Today the restoration crew comes to dry out the crawlspace, and clean it up. Thank goodness for house insurance. The house stinks right now...hopefully it will be an easy clean up.

Tonight I go to the laundry mat to do my many loads of laundry. Thankfully yesterday, my Mom took the 3 girls to her house (that was planned last week) and I was going to rest...yah right. And, my Mom did 2 loads of laundry...but with a family of 7 there is a lot of laundry.

Deep breaths...I will update when I know more. I told you I hate Mondays.

Cathy

No comments: