Sunday, July 09, 2006

Revisiting Crash Test Mommy

I cannot believe it has been two years today since we filmed our episode for Crash Test Mommy in the first season on Life Network. I have been a busy Mom. With two more kids since that day! And a life that is changing and growing in the AMAZING ways. I sure had a great time on my "get away" but really I am glad to have what I have. And, I wouldn't change my life and do something else. Who really these days gets the opportunity to raise FIVE kids. Not many!

www.crashtestmommy.ca click on episodes...season one...Gilbert Gamboa

and a bit of my professional pregnancy belly photo shoot, and the kids photo shoot from this day at:

http://www.photosbykathryn.com/media/ (first in the media section)


Here is a synopsis of my episode from 2 years ago! It was a lot of fun!

Episode #1004

Single, carefree, ladies man Gil picks up the gauntlet and accepts our challenge to be our weekend “crash test mommy” to the three energetic young children of his longtime friends Cathy and Cliff in British Columbia. As Cathy, imminently expecting child #4, is limo’d away for a dream weekend of pedicures and foot massages, lessons in watercolour painting, and a photo session with a professional photographer, Gil embarks on his odyssey of parenting chores and challenges.

As if it’s not enough feeding three finicky little kids, doing the usual mountain of laundry and perpetually cleaning the tables, chairs, counters and toilets, our devilish Crash Test Mommy hosts Dagmar Midcap and Charlie Lubiniecki make Gil’s mommy experience even more difficult, surreptitiously emptying the cupboards of instant foods and snacks. Gil parries by feeding the kids a potpourri of tuna-cheese-ketchup tortillas and fresh salad smothered in corn syrup, all of which, to the amazement of mom - watching on the web cams - they eat. A barrage of emails from mom force Gil to juggle more & more tasks: dressing and grooming all three kids for a photo session, making Sunday breakfast pancakes from scratch, getting the kids to paint a mural for the new baby room, and more. But Charlie and Dagmar throw an eyeful of temptation and distractions in his way, planting a sunbathing beauty at the beach and arranging a surprise house call by the energetic B.C. Lions Cheerleading Squad.

Gil is overwhelmed, and the whole experience pushes him to the brink. Just in time, Mom comes home, having had, in her own words, “The coolest weekend of my life.” Frustrated and frazzled, Gil decides he prefers, for now at least, to continue to play the field rather than playing dad.

5 comments:

Katie said...

WOW!!! That's really cool you got to be on TV and do all that! How did you get picked? Is the TV show still running in Canada? I haven't heard of it here, but it looks like a great idea!
-Katie

cathy said...

Katie: I applied to an ad that was in our local paper. The production crew came to our house, they did some filming, and the loved our family. There is a second season running here in Canada. It was a lot of fun!

Mrs. Merriman said...

I remember seeing you on the show (that was before we met!) but I had heard of it through Mike and Cliff. How exciting! And it sounds like it was such a great experience..

The funniest part I thought was how you and Cliff got to stay d/t, overlooking the Shaw Tower LOL. Like they didn't get to look at it enough at work!!

PamnPat'sParadise said...

That is so cool to see - I love it when they say that they want to help you document your "last pregnancy"...little did they know there would still be Caroline to come along.

cathy said...

Pam: I had a good chuckle when I heard that too. Little did I know lol. I am so glad she is here in our lives.