Thursday, July 13, 2006

Why I Love Summer Vacation *NOT*

As I said to my Mom the other day...Whomever named this time off from school during the summer as "Summer Vacation" obviously didn't have kids. This week feels like a week in you know where. I am seriously in awe of teachers who can manage a classroom of students. My hats go off to you all!

I have been having a rough week. I think I have a few more grey hairs. I have had so much happening in the span of one week. I have really had a brutal week.

Now I have a toddler who wants to remove her diaper at every opportunity. She makes "work" projects for me all day long! For instance, this morning Catie removed her diaper for the 3rd time, and peed all over Cameron's bedding. So, off to the laundry I go. AGAIN. I have more than 4 loads to do. I thought I might "catch up" but no, I am falling behind. Cameron dragged the pee laundry down the hall, and now I have a pee trail to wipe off the floors.

And, I am trying to keep the kids occupied, and busy and having fun. But it is not working. We have a housefull of grumps. It really has not been pleasantville around here.

I had to take away outdoor activities for awhike because the kids keep getting into everything they should not, our back stairs are out of comission, and so they access the backyard through the downstairs (aka gp home). They get into EVERYTHING down there. I am up and down the stairs all day. Checking in, and cleaning messes. So, had to stop that. Carly yesterday emptied the WHOLE bottle of dish soap on the deck. It was very messy. So, when Cliff got home I took the kids downstairs to clean up their mess.

I had to take the tent down from the backyard, as they take buckets of cooler water and add rocks to it, inside the tent.

I cannot give my kids felts, because they marker up themselves, and their sibling. I mean I believe in learning about new things, and figuring out how the world works, but not EVERYTIME they colour.

I have tried bringing out fun toys and activities when Caroline and Catie are napping for the older 3, and still trouble. We have tried bubbles, those get dumped immediately.

We have tried a lot of different ideas. None which are working at this point.

I have tried bringing out the kids scissors, and they cut their hair.

I bring out combs and brushes to "play hair" and then Carly brings out my nail clipper and clips pieces of my hair off. Seriously.

Laugh if you will. Because I know you are. I laugh now, through my tears (just kidding) when I type all of this really unbelievable behaviour.

I bring out the nice books, and the kids use them to "ice skate".

I know they are doing the best that they can, and so am I.

It really sucks that it is raining out there...totally doesn't feel like summer. It feels like winter. I am just counting on those back stairs getting fixed. So we can USE the backyard again.

Did I tell you the kids had out 2 pairs of scissors this morning, chopping up all of my computer paper during my 5 min bathroom break?

Did I tell you they ripped flowers off of newly blooming/soon to be bloomed plants?!

I am very outnumbered with a 5 on 1 tackle. Yikes.

I am not asking for sympathy. I am simply venting.

If you are still reading, you are crazy lol!

Thankfully next week it is Vacation Bible School All week all morning!

How many weeks of summer left??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU POOR THING! If I could come and help you out I would be all over it. I am so sorry - I don't even have suggestions because we have basically eliminated every "play" activity from our house too. There isn't a safe toy out there. I can't even stand playdoh because it gets jammed and stuck somewhere. I am soooo in love with Marcus right now and never want him to grow up for this reason....all &$%! breaks out when they get any bigger!! I hope the weather gets better for you down there Cathy and I hope next week is a better one too! **HUGS**
Amber

cathy said...

Hi Amber!

Thank you for your lovely comment.I am totally in love with Caroline too. Babies are so "easy" aren't they!

Hugs to you too. I hope everything is working its way out for you.

Cathy