Friday, June 30, 2006

First Day of Summer Holidays with 5 Kids

I thought today would be an awesome day. I thought the kids would sleep in a bit, as they went to bed at 8:30 last night. Well, they got up around 7 am. which was fine. I was finished feeding Caroline. So, I checked on the kids and Claire is standing on the kitchen counter taking out a sippee cup for Catie. That is fine. So Claire and Catie are up. I fill up the cup for Catie. I tell the girls I am going to shower. I shower (and seriously my showers are literally 5 mins from start to finish!) I get dressed and I come out to find everybody up. That is fine, but what is NOT FINE is watching Carly and Claire fill up 8 oz. baby bottles with new liners, clean bottles with water from the water cooler. THAT IS NOT FINE. So, I tell them that they should not be in that cupboard again. And now I have to wash all of the bottles and dry them and put them away. Done. These bottles are older ones from Catie as Caroline has not had bottles (well one the day I had my hair done.) So, I go into the rooms of the kids, and all I ask them to come to their rooms and put on their day clothes, and I have to specify SUMMER clothes. Claire and Carly come out of their rooms with winter long sleeved, dark shirts on. I ask them to PLEASE change into summer clothing. So, they do and I asked them to make their beds...they did. Everybody is dressed. Now Caroline is crying, I change her and I soothe her long enough to make breakfast for the 4 kids. Done. Cereal. I sit down to feed Caroline. I then clean up the mess. I also went through stuff in Cameron's room to clear out his messy room as he is a little packrat. So we did a clean sweep of his papers and things. That was good.

The next thing I do is ask Carly to go to the bathroom, so she goes and it is too late. AGAIN and AGAIN. Time and time AGAIN. Poop in the panties. AGAIN. She knows she shouldn't be waiting, and so I get frustrated with her. I feel bad for being frustrated. But I am tired of cleaning out poopie pants. She throws her panties in the garbage. I take them out and ask her to PLEAAAASSSSSE use the toilet when you need to go, not after. SOOOOO FRUSTRATING. So, she gets new clothes on, I wash out the poop panties in the tub. Then I need to clean the bathroom. Meanwhile the kids are tidying up so that they can go downstairs and out to the back yard. They successfully clean everything up. Catie comes into the bathroom and slips on the cleaning products that were sprayed around the toilet. I strip her down and send her out of the bathroom. I finish the bathroom completely. Sanitized and ready for the next mess. I notice that the pump soap is completely filled with water. NO SOAP left. This soap was purchased about a week ago. IT IS ALL GONE ALREADY. My kids love to play with the soap. There is NOTHING left in the bathroom. I have to hide the toothbrushes and toothpaste. I cannot leave spare rolls of toilet paper. Cliff had to drill a drawer shut in the bathroom because they used that drawer to "lock" the door so we couldn't get in there. I had to keep their combs and elastics in our room. This bathroom is EMPTY except for a few towels and washcloths. Pretty nutso around here.

Anyways. We are trying to come up with ways to keep the kids occupied and out of trouble...especially with me being a nursing mom to a newborn and 4 other kids that are on "holiday." So my MIL two days ago bless her heart brings up an assortment of buckets, dixie cups, utensils etc. to use in the backyard to dig and make stuff with. She said she doesn't mind that they play with the outside tap. Oh yeah. Can you picture the 4 of them out there?! I can and have witnessed what these kids are capable of doing! They are little scientists all right. Yesterday FIL came home went into the freezer and found mud in cups (dixie cups given to the kids by MIL) that fell and dirtied up the freezer!!! Nobody can win around here.

So there you go. One minute things are fine, the next minute I am in trouble. I CANNOT stand this. I feel frustrated, and then the frustration is taken out on the kids. And on pour old Cliff because he is always in the middle.

What to do?

So, instead of having a nice morning. I was going to walk them up to the library to enquire about an extreme reading program for Cameron, and instead it is 11 am and all I have had time to do is really have 5 dried apricots and 3 glasses of water. I look soooo terrible right now. My hair is puffy, and I am wearing clothing I do not like and I feel sooooo gross. Not even enough time to get myself ready for the day.

Where are the kids right now? I let them downstairs with sunblock on, and I asked them to stay out of trouble. lol. Ya right. I am completely outnumbered!! lol. Caroline thankfully is sleeping. I have slipcovers in the wash, and more wash to do. I will keep checking on the kids. Running the dishwasher which now needs unloading. Oh yeah and had to get Catie dressed again as I took off her clothing that went into the cleaning chemicals! And then put her block on.

I am ready to fly this coop and move out! This isn't summer holiday, this is H E Double Hockey Sticks.

Woweee. 4 hours of really chasing around the kids and their things, and really going nowhere. What a morning. I sure hope the afternoon is a bit better.

Left to do: Sort through clothing that is too small and pack away, marinate the chicken for dinner. (Wanted to do that early this am) and keep checking on the kids and make a lunch for them all. Then I get to sweep and clean up AGAIN. lol.

Maybe I can do my hair now!

No comments: