Saturday, June 17, 2006

Saturday

Today I spent the majority of the day purging like crazy. I FINALLY got to clean up our bedroom. When we moved to this space, I was pregnant, and I didn't really feel like cleaning anything up, or sorting. I felt really gross back then. So, TODAY was the day. I sorted into boxes just like my favourite professional organizer Helen from NEAT www.neattv.com does. Her website has AWESOME tip and suggestions for doing things in your own home. Check it out! IT is wonderful.

I has a toss, recycle, garage sale, and donate bins. And I managed to get 6 boxes of stuff out the door! That felt great. Our room feels so relaxing now, knowing that it is cleaned up! I made space and found ways to repurpose our things for other uses. I managed to clear up a cheerful yellow bin for Caroline's baby memory box too. I also sorted through gift bags, rolled up fabric ribbons, went through my craft and artwork bins. I went and sorted through my creative cabinet (my dream cabinet that is ONLY MINE!!) and also used my p-touch label maker to label my bins and boxes! Our closets look awesome. I also want to redo our papers and home office area. I am going to create a home binder and also a home office in a box so all of my supplies are in one easy to find container. (and easy to keep away from our kids!)

I still have stuff left to do. I still want to sort through all of the kids' artwork and recycle a lot of that. I also have to go through my stuff from when I was a kid. I am going to narrow 3 large boxes into on smaller container of stuff I really want to remember and cherish. And, I will have more closet space. And my brain will be clutter free too...well maybe for a bit ;D

I put some of my paintings away, and my blank canvas that has been staring at me for months. I will also sort through some magazines and clip out and store my favourite parts/ideas for my idea folder for decorating ideas. That will further clear out a pile I don't want to look at. My goal is to create a serene, peaceful bedroom that is relaxing and not a drag to be in. It is too busy for me. My life is busy enough, so I am going to create that space for Cliff and I.

It will be mostly white, with the reddish brown laminate flooring. White duvet cover, pillow slips. Maybe a matlasse cover too. New white 2" blinds flanking both sides of the bed and purchase 2 inexpensive roman shades from IKEA. I love my dresser already. I am going to find 5 black frames with nice white matting to hang them over our bed with a b&w photo of each child in each frame...and 5 is the perfect decorating number! well, all odd numbers are! and I will hand my 3 old windows over the dresser to balance that out on the opposite wall. I am also on the hunt for a small scale black chandelier to hang over the bed, and I will get Cliff to put a dimmer switch in there. With our white pieces of furniture, and the white cubes, and the contrast of our darker wood bedframe will give it punch, but still be relaxing. I will complete the room with some nice throw rugs on the floor by where our feet hit the floor on either side of the bed in some sort of pattern and colour for interest. Maybe floral. I will be sure to post before and after photos.

We are also going to paint the main bath in white, Cliff will install a couple pot lights as the bathroom is VERY dark. I will purchase an inexpensive white waffle shower curtain, and maybe some new artwork. And white towels to complete the look. It will be awesome and will easily update the bathroom.

I am still working on what to put up over the mantel in the kitchen. I have a few ideas, but need the $$ to do so!

No comments: